Gain awareness and a basic understanding of the history and the cultural values, beliefs and practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Our course provides a broad overview of various aspects of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander life, starting with the rich history before British colonisation to the present.
We cover the diverse cultures, intricate systems of beliefs and practices and the major events that have impacted the traditional way of life of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People. This includes contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander life and issues.
Finally, our course touches on the basic protocols and behaviours to follow when working and interacting with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- General awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural aspects, including the Dreaming, kinship and family ties, Leaders and Elders, language, lifestyle and food.
- Understanding of the long history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples before British colonisation and the impacts on their lives after colonisation.
- Knowledge and recognition of major events in recent Australian history that have affected Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Broad understanding and appreciation of some contemporary issues faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, including cultural changes, health, age and life expectancy, education and other social issues.
- Awareness of some prominent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- General knowledge and appreciation of some protocols and customs to follow when interacting or working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, such as communication techniques, respect and sensitivity, ‘Men’s and Women’s Business’, and ‘Country Ceremonies’.
“The Course units were well addressed with sensitivity, respectfully and acknowledgement to the Elders. Each unit was clear and precise with sufficient information for greater understanding. My knowledge of the Aboriginal and Torres Islanders have improved and I bestow greater respect to their tradition, culture and customs.” Gurmit Kaur Darshan Singh
Want a preview of our course? Take a look at the Course Demo
Topic 1 – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Culture
Section 1 – The Dreaming and Connections to Lands and Waters
Section 2 – Kinship and Family Ties
Section 3 – Marriage
Section 4 – Leaders and Elders
Section 5 – Nation and Language Diversity
Section 6 – Lifestyle and Food
Topic 2 – History and Impact of Colonisation
Section 1 – The ‘Terra Nullius’ Doctrine
Section 2 – Decreased Population Following Colonisation
Section 3 – Protectionist Legislation
Section 4 – The Stolen Generations
Section 5 – The Apology to The Stolen Generations
Section 7 – The Native Title Act and Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs)
Topic 3 – Contemporary Aboriginal Life and Issues
Section 1 – Culture
Section 2 – Health, Age and Life Expectancy
Section 3 – Alcohol and Substance Abuse
Section 4 – Education
Section 5 – Employment and Poverty
Section 6 – Prominent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
Topic 4 – Cultural Understanding and Considerations
Section 1 – Communication Techniques
Section 2 – Respect and Sensitivity
Section 3 – Men’s and Women’s Business
Section 4 – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flags
Section 5 – ‘Welcome to Country’ and ‘Acknowledgement of Country’ Ceremonies
$99 (incl. GST)
1.5 hours (approximate)
Upon completion of this course, you will be emailed a Certificate of Participation in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Awareness.
Employers and employees that require awareness training on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture.