Learn the skills and knowledge required to handle food safely during the storage, preparation, display, service and disposal of food.
The course will help you develop safe handling practices by providing you with a better understanding of food safety programs, the principles of the ANZFS Code and food safety systems such as Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (or HACCP).
This Nationally Recognised course applies to all tourism, hospitality and catering organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or smaller food preparation areas.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to demonstrate competence in the following performance criteria:
- Follow food safety programs
- Store and prepare food safety
- Provide safe single-use items
- Maintain a clean environment
- Dispose of food safely
- Report food safety hazards
- Read and interpret a food safety program and complete food-monitoring documents
- Calibrate and use a temperature probe and calculate timings
- Identify and respond to routine food safety issues
- Coordinate a range of food handling tasks while taking account of food safety issues
- Take responsibility for food safety at an operation level
Unit of Competency:
SITXFSA002 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices
Important note: A Third Party Report must be submitted once the course is finished. It will be used, along with the in-course assessments, to deem competence for this Unit of Competency.
To meet the Third Party Report requirements, the participant will need access to a commercial or training food preparation area, bar or kitchen, where a supervisor, employer or someone with appropriate food preparation experience will have to observe and comment on the participant’s use of hygienic practices and relevant skills and knowledge while performing a range of food handling tasks.
- Hygiene Requirements
- Hygiene and Contamination Hazards
- Principles and Methods of Safe Food Handling
- Cleaning and Sanitation
Looking for the Food Safety Supervisor Qualification? You’ll need to complete both:
- SITXFSA001 Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety
- SITXFSA002 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices
Click here for information and to enrol in the entire Food Safety Supervisor’s course if you haven’t done either Unit mentioned above.
$60 (GST free)
Anyone who directly handles food, comes into contact with food, or is near food at their workplace, or anyone who through their actions or inaction at work could contaminate food.
On successful completion, participants will receive a Statement of Attainment for the Unit of Competency SITXFSA002 Participate in Safe Food Handling Practices.