To understand changes to the White Card, please consider responses to commonly asked questions as follows:
1. What are the primary differences between the current White Card and the new program?
To receive the White Card, participants are required to complete an additional verbal assessment, to be done either:
• In person at our facility – 6 Orion Road, Jandakot; or
• By video call (e.g. Skype)
This is to be conducted by an authorised AVELING assessor, taking approximately 30 minutes to complete. The verbal assessment consists of 26 questions. It can be completed on weekdays, between 7.30am and 3.30pm (AWST).
PPE Requirements For Assessment:
The verbal assessment requires participants to demonstrate using certain Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). This is provided if doing the assessment in person at our Jandakot facility. If doing the assessment via video call, please ensure the following PPE is ready for use and in good working order before the assessment:
• Hard hat
• Eye protection
• Hearing protection (ear muffs or ear plugs)
• High visibility (hi-vis) vest
2. What do I do if I don’t own PPE?
You can use the PPE available at AVELING if this is helpful.
3. I have an old White Card – do I need to upgrade?
The White Card has remained the same, only the unit of competency has changed. It is an equivalent unit so it’s not necessary to upgrade to the new unit of competency if you already hold CPCCOHS1001A – Work safely in the construction industry. Although the White Card does not expire, it is up to your employer or site manager. Please consult your employer as needed.
4. What are the new learning outcomes?
The new learning outcomes are:
• Identify WHS legislative requirements
• Identify construction hazards and control measures
• Identify WHS communication and reporting processes
• Identify WHS incident response procedures
5. I’ve started on the old White Card but have not completed it, what do I have to do now?
After the 7th December you will need to undertake the new White Card unit of competency and incur new fees.
6. I have pre-purchased a set number of white cards with AVELING, what is the transition process?
Those pre-purchased White Cards will transition to the new unit after the 7th December. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
7. What is the cost difference of the new White Card?
The new White Card is $80 (GST free) per person.
8. What do I do if I don’t have video facilities?
You may complete your practical assessment at our office at 6 Orion Road, Jandakot on weekdays, between 7.30am and 3.30pm (AWST).