Do you feel like you’re always busy with never enough time? Many of us spend our days in a frenzy of activity but don’t achieve what we feel like we should.
Time Management is the way of managing our time wisely and more productively. Some people can do this instinctively while others find it less easy.
Some of the main issues affecting our time management are that we:
- Get distracted with trivialities and interruptions
- Become too engrossed in work and lose track of time
- Have too many competing demands and don’t know where to start
- Flit from one thing to another without worrying about the end result.
Most of us can improve the way that we manage our time. So what are some the top tips of effective time managers?
- Understand how you spend your time. Awareness of how we spend our time enables us to use our time more wisely and productively. Keep a log of your tasks so you know how to spend your time.
- Set clear and achievable goals. Goals provide a sense of direction, purpose and clarity.
- Identify priorities. Brainstorm everything that needs doing and then write them into a to-do list that can help us to set priorities.
- Learn to plan and schedule. A schedule keeps us on track through the day and helps us to avoid taking on too much and burning out. It also eases the stress and anxiety that comes from not knowing where we are at with our tasks and responsibilities.
- Minimise distractions and interruptions. Put your mobile away!
- Have a good understanding of yourself. This includes an understanding of the inner factors that can help or hinder how we manage time.
Learning to use your time effectively can mean an increase in productivity, getting more done in less time, decreased stress and anxiety, and an overall healthier work-life balance. Good luck!
AVELING is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO # 50503) that specialises in the delivery of workforce development and safety training and consulting services. We offer a suite of publicly available eLearning courses across a range of topics that includes office skills such as Time Management.