Being a parent never prepares us for some of the challenges we all face with our kids. Disability, illness, communication problems, drugs and alcohol use, bullying and problems at school – these are some of the challenges we get thrown at us when we’re parents.
Signs that something might be wrong:
- Dieting behaviour (e.g. fasting, constantly counting kilojoules, avoiding types of food)
- Eating in private and avoiding dealing with food with other people
- Binge eating and hoarding of food
- Frequent trips to the bathroom at meal times
- Vomiting, regularly using laxatives or appetite suppressants
- Changes in clothes worn like wearing baggy things
- Compulsive or over exercising
- Replacing meals with fluids
- Secretive behaviour around food including saying they have eaten when they haven’t or hiding uneaten food
You can find out more about eating disorders here.